yamaha outboards near me
Yamaha Complete Outboard Boat Engines
When youre preparing to head out onto the water, you need to be sure that your engine wont let you down. There are many Yamaha complete outboard boat engines that you can equip yourself with. They have varying features, so you can determine which Yamaha model is appropriate for you depending on whether you need something marine or for lakes.
How do Yamaha outboard engines work?yamaha outboards near me
These types of outboard motors power propellers. If you open up your throttle, the propeller will spin more quickly. The basic mechanics of how an outboard works are:
- 1. Fuel gets burned in the cylinders when you turn on the engine.
- 2. The expanding fuel gases create pressure that moves a piston back and forth.
- 3. The moving piston rod then turns the crankshaft.
- 4. The crankshaft turns the main driveshaft. The driveshaft has a small gearbox which converts the vertical spinning motion into a horizontal spinning motion.
- 5. To steer while boating, you can change the angle of the propeller either using the handle or a steering wheel, if one has been attached.
What are the features of a two-stroke outboard motor?
This type of boat motor works with a compression stroke and an explosion stroke. The explosion stroke is powered by the fuel that was just compressed. For each revolution, there are twice as many strokes.
- These Yamaha models require a mixture of oil and gas for proper lubrication.
- These outboard motors are generally lighter than their counterparts.
- They do not include any valves – this can make repairs more straightforward.
- Two-stroke direct-fuel-injection, DFI, engines are also available. In these engines, fuel is sprayed into the cylinder right when the piston is covering the exhaust valve to prevent any loss of fuel.
What are the features of a four-stroke outboard motor?
When these types of engine run, there is a compression stroke, a return stroke, an exhaust stroke, and then another return stroke.
- Four-stroke motors need regular oil changes to work properly.
- Some outboards have been designed to use computer management systems to keep everything in check.
- These motors can be more fuel efficient and can emit fewer emissions. If youre doing marine boating, fuel economy could be an important factor.
How does horsepower affect the choice of outboard motor?
You need to check the specifications of your boat to see what type of engine is recommended. A National Marine Manufacturers, NMMA, capacity plate should be on or near the stern. This plate will indicate the minimum and maximum horsepower that you can have. You could always use less power than the maximum and still get along just fine. If you use an outboard motor thats too large or powerful, you could tip your hull up too much and risk sinking. Some general recommendations:
- Very small boats like dinghies and canoes: about 10 horsepower
- 10 to 15 foot boats, including aluminum and fiberglass vessels: 15 – 20 horsepower
- 15 – 25 foot boats: anywhere from 75 to 300 horsepower, depending on what type of water youll be in and how far youd like to travel
- Vessels greater than 25 feet: between 200 – 400 horsepower
Showing 1–20 of 31 results